Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Recommended Recipe Books

Here is my list of favorites with stars by the books that are the most beat up books at my house.

366 Delicious Ways to Cook Rice Beans and Grains by Andrea Chesman
Country Beans by Rita Bingham
The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book by Laurel Roberston et al
*Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
The New Laurel's Kitchen by Laurel Robertson
*A Busy Cook's Guide to Spices by Linda Murdock
*Fix It and Forget It by Ranck and Good

I have other favorites but they're church cookbooks or old and out of print.

If you're just learning to cook then I would recommend a *Betty Crocker Cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, or The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.
I've always thought it a good idea for an older girl in the home to cook every recipe in one of these to gain a wide variety of skills.

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of having an older girl cook every recipe in one of those basic cookbooks to make sure she is a well rounded cook. Hmmm.... I think I may have to go through my Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook with my daughter and assign some recipes. She loves to bake but does not do much cooking. We will have to work on that!

    I'll have to check out some of the other cook books you've listed at the top. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my older Good Housekeeping cookbooks from the 50s because they included directions for things like "how to cut up a whole chicken" and other "out-dated" things that modern cooking either doesn't incorporate, or I guess they think you already know. I didn't. I had to start learning as an adult on my own and those older cookbooks are great for cooking whole foods and from scratch foods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to say that I stumbled across your posts at Time-warp wife, and I really enjoy them. I've suffered for years of depression and anxiety, and as I'm coming out of it, I'm trying to get back on track with getting my house back in order. And even though I feel like I have a good grasp of what to do and how to do it, it's still nice to read like-minded things, for motivation if not for how-to purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really nice ideas. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post your Comment