Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cast Iron Pan Chocolate Chip Oat Cookie

Cast Iron Pan Chocolate Chip Oat Cookie 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

1 c softened butter (I use olive oil for my dairy free girls)
1 c brown sugar
1 t vanilla
2 eggs

2 1/4 c flour (I prefer fresh ground)
1 t baking soda
1 t sea salt

1/2 c regular rolled oats
2 c chocolate chips
1 c chopped walnuts


  • In a large bowl combine the sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Beat it until it's fluffy. 
  • Add flour, baking soda, and salt slowly and carefully so that there are no lumps, or mix it in a separate bowl before adding. I like to cut corners so I put it all into the big bowl.
  •  Stir in the oats, chocolate chips, and walnuts. 
  • Butter or oil a medium sized skillet. Put the dough into the skillet. 
At this point my sister likes to put salt on the top of the dough. If you're going to eat this with ice cream it's a nice sweet and salty mix. But if you are not going to have this with ice cream--don't do it.

Bake for 45 minutes. If your cast iron skillet is larger then it will take less time to bake. If it is smaller and the dough deeper then the time will be longer.If your pan is smaller then the outside will be crunchier and the inside more cake like. It's all good.
And it's also good in bowl with milk. That is the Amish in me coming out.

4 comments:

  1. Wow - this looks great - the kids are going to like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful...but why substitute olive oil for butter? I would prefer coconut oil, or even good old fashioned pig lard...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good! Do you know if they make non-dairy chocolate chips?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this for my sons scout group and it was AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!!!!!! ~Serenity

    ReplyDelete

Post your Comment